Advanced Auto Parts: E3 Spark Plugs Improve Fuel Efficiency

Saturday, December 27, 2008 16:56

There’s a lot of buzz going around the industry today about the new technology behind , because they’ve been rumored to increase performance and improve fuel efficiency (and as a result, gas mileage).  It appears these rumors have some basis in fact.  According to at least one blog review, “Most spark plug companies treat their plugs’ electrodes like shaving companies treat their razors: if there’s more it must be better, right ? With spark plugs, not so much.”

E3 Spark Plugs Auto PartsThanks to their new look at the engineering behind spark plugs, E3’s Advanced DiamondFire Technology has produced a better spark plug which can actually improve fuel efficiency, save gas and provide better gas mileage.

The new technology is described by E3:

[Our] scientists studied the actual pressure rise from a single combustion event with different style spark plugs. The measurement is called the Indicated Mean Effective Pressure (IMEP).  This value is arrived at by running series of combustion cycles and comparing the values from one spark plug to another, keeping all other parameters (load, rpm, temperature, humidity, etc.) equal.  We focused on maximizing the peak pressure created by our proposed electrode designs.

22 Responses to “Advanced Auto Parts: E3 Spark Plugs Improve Fuel Efficiency”

1. American Alligator says:

December 28th, 2008 at 4:24 am

Thats awesome, but do new cars of today still use spark plugs? My dad’s car (2008) uses something different, it’s own style of spark plugs.

Till then,

Joe

2. Fuel Economy Advisor says:

December 28th, 2008 at 4:27 am

Modern gas-powered cars with combustion engines still use spark plugs, but all electrics/hybrids may not.

3. Cheap old cars for sale says:

January 5th, 2009 at 2:04 am

Its really good if dis new “spark plugs” if it improves fuel efficiency, save gas and provide better gas mileage….. i will surely try it…… thnx 4 the new info….

4. familytram says:

January 27th, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Is this product really effective? I mean there are many products like that in the market which claims better fuel economy, longer engine life, better fuel mileage and all that. If anyone of you has tried it and if it’s really effective, then let me know.

familytram’s last blog post..2010 Mazda 3 could be Your Family Car

5. Christopher@Convertible Car Tops says:

March 17th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I need a new sparkplug for my old bucket. If this one can save me gas and money in my pocket then its definitely worth a try. Its about time they come out with better spark plugs.

6. Tom Murray says:

March 27th, 2009 at 7:28 am

These look “Beefy”. Does that mean they will last longer than standard plugs? If it will give me another year between changing plugs, then I’ll try it.

7. Tom Murray says:

March 27th, 2009 at 7:46 am

I just read some reviews on the e3, and apparently the initial response is good, but they don’t hold up over time. Rough idle and misfires occur after 500 miles or so. Also they are not accepted under the cars warranty, which could be an issue. Here is what I get… If you have an older car with a carb, and it is easy to change the plugs, and you have a little extra cash to play with, then YES these give a bit quicker throttle reaction time.

8. Josh says:

April 7th, 2009 at 7:33 am

Very good for them coming up with a spark plug that is more efficient, but are these compatible with all older cars, if they are then brilliant. People buying new cars to reduce CO2 emissions is great except that new cars take a huge amount of CO2 to build.

Josh

9. Victorville Auto Repair says:

June 4th, 2009 at 11:51 am

I’ve also heard good reports about the Bosch Super 4 sparks plugs helping gas mileage a bit. Of course, tuning your car is one aspect and behavioral changes such as trying out hypermiling is another way to improve gas mileage.

10. Factory Service Manual says:

August 3rd, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Just about time to change my spark plugs. Maybe I can give them a try. Does anyone know how much they cost compare to the regular ones?
    .-= Factory Service Manual´s last blog ..Grab Your Online Factory Service Manual Immediately =-.

11. sandeep@promotional codes says:

August 5th, 2009 at 11:14 am

Good to hear that companies are also improving performance of cars by taking spark plug into consideration. Of course these new spark plug will show good sign for people who are more worried about their fuel efficiency of the car.
    Companies keep the mind working so that we can benefit.

12. Ross@Custom Lapel Pins says:

October 1st, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I don’t know how much a spark plug can increase efficiency. When you’re talking 1 extra mile per tank, unless you own your car for 100 years you’re not going to save THAT much.

13. mercruiser engines says:

November 15th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

i’ve put these in my 06 hemi ram and i havent had any problems out of them. i installed them about 3 or 4 months into the beginning of this year. i’ve read a lot about people having mixed reviews of them but they’ve worked perfectly fine for me. when i had them in, i immediately noticed an increase in acceleration and performance. it felt like i was driving the truck for the first time again, not being used to the power. now i get over 20 mpg consistently if i can keep my foot out of it haha

14. Spark Plugs says:

December 7th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Interesting post. It is a common assumption that more is better, but the best way is to look at efficiency. I am glad that studies are being done on all auto parts to uncover fuel saving technology.

15. Jules@Autos says:

December 15th, 2009 at 5:35 pm

I have been looking for ways to increase the fuel efficiency of my car. I have a Jeep Wrangler stick shift that I am hoping can utilize something like this. This post and this blog is very helpful. A lot of good tips on getting better fuel economy on your cars.

16. Motorhomes Rv Dealers says:

December 17th, 2009 at 3:53 am

This plug provide more power in less consumption of fuel. It is really good creation. I thing this is the excellent way to improve mileage by only using this new Spark Plugs.

17. Armand Jones says:

July 9th, 2010 at 3:42 am

Fuel efficiency is nice if you have good car parts to compensate for it. Some stores like Car Parts Los Angeles seems to have good points in selling good aftermarket parts like plugs. Researching such things would be good in order to see all the good sides of all parts.

18. Nanaimo Car Dealer says:

August 23rd, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I love these spark plugs, I have been using them for years, and find I not only get better gas mileage, but more performance as well. I highly recommend changing to these type of plugs during your next tune up.
    Add a K&N air filter to it and you will see more performance again.

Thanks for your good articles, keep up the good job.

19. Anna says:

September 6th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

If your engine’s spark plugs are the weak link in its ignition system and combustion chamber design, then E3 plugs will almost certainly return some impressive results. Installing these plugs on an engine that is already optimized for performance may not yield improvements significant enough to notice.

20. vevs@Cylinder Head Gasket Set says:

September 16th, 2010 at 9:18 pm

What is the technology behind this product? of course this is a great news but I do hope that the technology will be improved, and that it can build partnership with big car manufacturers so that this car part can be used from the very first start of the car.

21. Adam@Truck Tires says:

January 27th, 2012 at 8:56 am

Not sure if they work on all models. Can you please give us a list of cars on which they can be used?Thanks a lot!

22. mercedes repairs says:

April 23rd, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Does a mechanic (not a dealership) typically add 10% or so to the price of a part (timing belts, water pumps, etc.) or do they just charge what they paid for it? I was just wondering if it’s cheaper to stop at O’Reilly Auto Parts, or the like, and pick up the part and give it to the mechanic to install it.