Top 3 Cars With The Best Gas Mileage In 2008

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 0:33

With gas prices in constant flux everyone shopping for a new car is very cognizant of the gas mileage of the vehicles they are looking at. Car manufacturers themselves have also become very concerned with this and as such have begun developing cars specifically to meet this need. In 2008 three cars stood out from the rest and earned the reputation as the vehicles with the best gas mileage.

2008 Toyota PriusThe standout car for the year was the 2008 Toyota Prius. This car posted some amazing numbers and was by far and away the leader of all vehicles in all classes. It is classified as a mid sized car which puts it above the small compacts and below the full size vehicles. Still it has enough room to sit four people comfortably and put something in the trunk. The mileage rating on this vehicle is a tremendous 48 miles per gallon city and 45 mile per gallon highway. The big draw back on this car is the price and the availability. If you can find one at sticker price though they are by far the best deal going.

The runner up for the best gas mileage is the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. This vehicle is significantly smaller than the Prius and has worse fuel economy, although not by much. This vehicle gets 40 miles per gallon in the city and 45 mile per gallon on the highway. While the city numbers are significantly less, the highway numbers stay right with the Prius. One selling point in favor of the Civic is the fact that the actual vehicle is based around a car that has been in production for some time. All the kinks have been worked out of the Civic line and it makes this car very accessible.

The last vehicle that can be counted as won of the winners is the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. While the fuel economy is not anywhere near the mid size and compact cars it does offer a significant space upgrade over the other vehicles. The gas mileage on the Escape Hybrid is better than most mini compact and subcompact cars so it really is an achievement. This car comes in with gas mileage of 34 city and 30 highway, highly respectable for a vehicle with this much room.

39 Responses to “Top 3 Cars With The Best Gas Mileage In 2008”

1. Sell Gold; Gold Appraisal says:

February 19th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

With everyone so concerned about money in this economy, it’s good to know there’s a few cars which can help us save cash in the long run.

Sell Gold; Gold Appraisal’s last blog post..Tips On How To Sell Gold; Selling Your Old, Scrap Jewelry

2. Katie says:

February 22nd, 2009 at 7:00 am

The Prius doesn’t even come a close second to my Citroen C4 I get 54 MPG (US) in town and 62.5 MPG (US) country running. Why is this car overlooked in the economy race?

3. pump says:

February 26th, 2009 at 1:56 am

beautiful!

4. zoomerdaily says:

March 2nd, 2009 at 6:46 pm

The Toyota Prius gets my vote. It is a really great car from the Japanese auto maker.

zoomerdaily’s last blog post..550 Sweepstakes Giveaway–Win $250!

5. Chris Freunde says:

March 4th, 2009 at 6:21 am

Japanese guys are pretty good. they bring great technologies to the market and on top of it these technologies are good for the environment. looks like sooner or later they will take over the american car market.

6. Art @ National Wheels says:

March 12th, 2009 at 4:11 am

I just put wheels on a black Prius and I have to say that it came out better then I expected. It had tinted windows, it was all black and it was real clean with black wheels. 🙂

Art’s last blog post..ZX7 [CHROME] by ZYOXX WHEELS

7. Mercedes says:

March 17th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

8. Car Rental says:

March 17th, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I own a Toyota Prius and I think it is totally deserving of winning Car Of The Year. I know the Civic comes in very close

9. Old cars says:

March 31st, 2009 at 2:51 am

Yes this is true information, Honda cars are very nice and beautiful look, and Honda car in very great fuel efficiency and Eco friendly car, i want always buy this car.

10. CA Car Repair says:

April 6th, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Just wait until the plug-in Prius comes out and blows the doors off the competition. The GM volt may never be. Then again the Xprize may unveil a new winner from a small unknown company.

11. window regulator says:

April 14th, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Among the top three (Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, Ford Escape), the Toyota Prius gets my vote as the best hybrid car out there in the market. I am really excited with the 2010 model.

12. Tapety says:

June 14th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I am just in love with the Honda Civic Hybrid. This car is amazing! My friend got it, Im really jealous.

Regards,
    Jason Tapety

13. Rick Banks says:

June 16th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I like the HONDA Civic very much. It’s such a cool driving machine. I wish I could get one of those.

14. Odchudzanie says:

June 17th, 2009 at 11:38 am

I don’t like ford aspecially the ascape model, it’s crap.
    I don’t heard about anybody who would be satisfied in using it… and I know few owners.
    but its free market, so it is in the best cars mileage ranking…
    Monica

15. Robert says:

July 11th, 2009 at 2:45 am

I currently don’t own a car but whenever I get it in future it will definitely be a Honda model!

16. Robert says:

July 12th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

These three got to be the top three! thanks for the post.

17. Factory Car Service Manual says:

August 24th, 2009 at 12:18 pm

My mother in law has the new 3rd generation Prius. It’s amazing, I also like this car better than the second generation especially with its sun power AC system.
    .-= Factory Car Service Manual´s last blog ..Auto Repair Manual =-.

18. Susan | Trade In's says:

September 9th, 2009 at 4:12 am

I always knew that the Toyota would be on the top there and its great to see that the Honda is up there too and what a great looking car that has turned out to be. Great post and its always great to see whats happening in the car market especially in the tough times that we are going through now with the recession.

19. Ferrari Experience says:

September 14th, 2009 at 8:24 am

Some European cars now achieve over seventy miles per gallon on the combined cycle, surely it’s time these were made available in the U.S.

20. [email protected] Rental Auckland says:

October 12th, 2009 at 12:03 am

Toyota Prius and Hondo Civic are two outstanding performers. I own a Honda and my friend has a Toyota. We both have almost the same gas efficiency rates, but my friend takes a lead when he hits the highway. I think rather investing more on luxury cars, I would save that money for refilling gas for the coming years. That is one tip I got from an expert. Hope we have manufactures rolling out highly economical vehicles in the future.

21. [email protected] Cars with 35+ mpg says:

December 9th, 2009 at 11:07 am

I agree with @Mark. While it is helpful to get information on new cars with great gas mileage, a look back to some cars a few years ago would be helpful as well. In general though, I am glad to see a larger number of fuel efficient cars in the marketplace.

22. Brett from Car alarm reviews says:

January 2nd, 2010 at 8:48 am

With people hit by recession all over the globe it is good to know that cars with this high mileage are there..i am also sure that a lot of manufacturers are gonna come out with such cars. All these 3 cars are top in their performance…only that such hybrid cars are expensive. good stuff.
    .-= Brett from Car alarm reviews ´s last blog ..I’m looking for a Car Alarm any recomendations? | Peterson Alarm … =-.

23. Green Building says:

January 5th, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I certainly love the prius for many reasons. Not only for it’s Eco friendliness. It’s a nice car and certainly a best choice for a lady.

24. Kia says:

January 19th, 2010 at 6:59 am

This must be related to American market only, because I can name at least 10 vehicles that achieve better fuel consumption ratings than above mentioned hybrids. They are all on sale in Europe and are non-hybrid cars. One of them is Golf V diesel, then you have a smart for two, theres’ ford focuse econetic and many other fuel sipping vehicles available.
    .-= Kia´s last blog ..Next-generation Kia Sportage images leak =-.

25. [email protected] Window Repair says:

January 20th, 2010 at 3:27 am

What most people don’t take into consideration when buying a ‘green’ hybrid is the carbon footprint of the car. Consider the resources used to make those cars. Now remember you have to replace ALL of those batteries every 5-8 years. I own a Honda Fit, ULEV 40+ MPG I like it. I chose not to buy a hybrid because the carbon footprint was almost twice that of the Fit.

26. New Kia NY says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Well I guess that is what we need now in this economy, new ways to save money in every which way we can.

27. VW Camper Vans says:

June 25th, 2010 at 5:53 am

I always consider things in selecting a vehicle. It should always gives me comfort and suitable for my enjoyment. Of course fuel saving vehicle is always on the list. I also prefer using hybrid cars cause they have less consumption of fuel.

28. Georgia Drivers Ed says:

July 13th, 2010 at 6:00 am

we are still in early stage of hybrid technology age, i hope we would see some more developments which inter reduce the fuel consumption of vehicle and also increase the efficiency, I too like to own one hybrid one but the price stopping me to go for perches, may be prices are also came down some level so that a common American person can afford to buy one

29. Georgia Drivers Ed says:

August 24th, 2010 at 2:32 am

Gas mileage cars is useful in future when the resources get abundant. thanks for sharing it helps to keep an idea on gas cars mileage

30. Palm Springs Mazda says:

September 2nd, 2010 at 7:17 pm

without a doubt the Prius is a winner in mileage department, no one can beat it when it comes to that but im not a huge fan of its high back and looks. I know that the looks have to with making it more fuel efficient, just not a huge fan.

31. new houses for sale in spokane says:

September 20th, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yeah, the Toyota Prius is well-known for it’s great mileage. But I prefer the Civic than the Prius for it’s sleeker look.

32. [email protected] for sale says:

November 8th, 2010 at 12:41 am

Fuel prices increase day by day. Consumer to want best mileage & fuel economic cars. I think Toyota Prius have all this advantage.

33. Michael [email protected] Tinting Info says:

March 27th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I will always look for car that is fuel saving. Otherwise my fuel expenses is going to be very high 🙁

34. markus says:

June 13th, 2012 at 10:46 am

Although not as good on the gas mileage as its hybrid counterpart, the standard Honda Civic gets over thirty five miles per gallon in the city and almost ten miles per gallon more than that on the highway.

35. [email protected] headlight bulbs says:

July 30th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

It’s great to see these kinds of vehicles making their way into the mainstream market. However, I still feel the technology/ethic is somewhat flawed. Combustion engines are not the future and instead of finding new ways to further the evolution of transport, they merely give the old dog a new trick to keep it going and making money for the oil industry. The technology has existed to retire combustion engines for over a decade. It’s the same in every market, “C” won’t be available until they have exhausted profits from A & B…even though “C” is sat on a shelf read to go…