The Top 3 Hybrids of 2009 for the Best Gas Mileage

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 17:25

2009 Toyota PriusThe 2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid is hands-down the highest rated of the hybrid vehicles. Gas mileage, the most important consideration for many, is 48 mpg in the city and 45 mpg on the highway. This Toyota was designed from scratch as a hybrid, not modified from a conventional vehicle, and is considered by many the best blend of efficiency, dependability and affordability. It’s roomy design seats up to 5 people and maximizes interior space. At $21,100 it is a good value for all that it offers.

2009 Honda CivicThe 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid has excellent gas mileage at 40 mpg in the city and 45 mpg on the highway. Its price is competitive with the Prius at $22,600. The Civic Hybrid is a roomy, 4-door style sedan with a number of trims and options available. This hybrid vehicle is considered reliable and affordable, all-in-all an excellent value.  Plus Honda has an award-winning extended warranty program which is standard for most vehicle purchases.

2009 Smart FortwoThe new kid on the block, coming out this fall, is the 2009 Smart Fortwo.  The Fortwo is a small, affordable 2-seater, designed more for around-town than for long trips. It’s base price of only $11,590 is very affordable, and it gets great gas mileage: 33 in the city and 41 on the highway. Although this Smart car is definitely not for everyone, it is easy to park anywhere and it’s low fuel consumption will definitely save you money.

For those who need a more conventional vehicle, the Volkswagen Jetta may be a better alternate choice than these hybrids in a slightly bigger class. It is not an alternative fuel or hybrid vehicle; it gets great gas mileage through efficient design. It gets 30 mpg in the city and 41 mpg on the highway, with some variation between specific models. Available in a coupe or a sportwagon, the VW Jetta boasts quality design and construction for a long lasting vehicle, starting about $17,500.

36 Responses to “The Top 3 Hybrids of 2009 for the Best Gas Mileage”

1. Abud@Honda Civic Exhaust says:

March 19th, 2009 at 10:42 pm

i’m really love 2009 Smart Fortwo. the price is good for me but unfortunatelly it hasn’t launched in my country. i’m still waiting……Thanks.

2. Hummer limos for sale says:

March 20th, 2009 at 5:52 am

great fuel efficiency has been made by car companies this year. i think VW Jetta is the best amongst this. has in, it is less in price, more comfort, every luxury is beeen given in jetta.

3. Salt Lake City Movers says:

March 23rd, 2009 at 6:31 pm

For 48 MPG it seems quite reasonable to pay $21k for a Prius, if your main concern is fuel economy and you don’t mind the car’s appearance. On the other hand, a Corolla costs around $16k and is rated around 38MPG I think, maybe more. So as a car buyer you have to make the decision if an extra 10MPG or so is worth the extra $5k price tag. I suppose it might depend on how much driving you do. Also I’m curious to see if these Smart cars will get more popular.

4. new york car insurance quote says:

March 25th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I agree with digital media college. I do not like the look of the smart car and would not buy one. I do have to disagree with digital media college when they said

“I wouldn’t be caught dead in that thing”

If they were ever in that they would be dead. I have seen many of these around town and I agree that they are a death trap. They will never win in ANY accident. Watch for insurance on these cars to rise sky high in the coming years as studies start to show what I suspect – Many will be found dead in them at crash scenes.

5. History says:

March 25th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Obviously the more you drive the more important fuel consumption is. For me I drive a lot so the prius looks like the best deal

History’s last blog post..History of Chocolate

6. Alexia@Gold Party Review says:

March 29th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Nice cheap cars getting good gas mileage. With times so hard people are selling their gold just for gas money, I don’t blame them for getting something more economical!

Alexia’s last blog post..My Gold Party Review: Gold Buying and Selling

7. Sid Savage Auto Dealer Supply says:

March 31st, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for this info. Has anyone seen the new Honda Insight hybrid? Very similar body style to the Prius. I guess if you can’t beat them you gotta join ’em…or rip off their style.

8. AAMCO Victorville says:

April 3rd, 2009 at 6:01 pm

The Smart ForTwo has a lot more leg room than it looks. I’m still undecided as to whether I like how it looks or not, though.

9. mobile home sales france says:

April 6th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I never have liked the smart car, but the other two I think look really good.

10. Josephine in Australia says:

April 9th, 2009 at 12:10 am

Among the top 3 hybrid cars one of my favorite is the Honda Civic 2009, because of its good feature inside and out. Aside from being its long range gas saving help. Thanks for this article.

11. Thomas@Honda Certified Hybrids says:

May 19th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

The Jetta TDi is another worthy contender at 41 hwy MPG. And the new 2010 Insight has to make this list for next year!

Thomas’s last blog post..The Insight gets Pimped by Mugen

12. kathyfb@irvine car accident attorney says:

May 30th, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I think cars are going to be getting smaller and smaller and injury rates for drivers and passengers of these vehicles are going to go down as well as insurance rates.

13. Kirk says:

June 2nd, 2009 at 12:25 pm

gas mileage is one of the initial things that i look into before purchasing a car, as many do… all these hybrid cars are great and all, but the price is still too steep for me.. 🙂

14. Doctor Jobs Australia says:

June 11th, 2009 at 2:56 am

All three of these hybrids are great, with more publicity these cars will be more popular and they are the cars of the future when the gas is out of it’s power.

15. Solar says:

June 20th, 2009 at 11:32 am

These certainly do look great! Especially the Prius looks awesome.

16. movers says:

June 21st, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Honda’s Civic hybrid is a great alternative for those who don’t want Toyota Prius, with an affordable price, excellent driving dynamics, and fuel economy.

17. Perfect Shave Dispatch says:

June 25th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Honda is sleek and elegant indeed. I love that car. Looks plus mileage plus price, Honda wins.

18. forklifts for sale says:

July 21st, 2009 at 11:33 am

I think the VW Jetta is going to be a car to look out for, this year it has a clean look to it and the price is reasonable, the Smart fortwo is nice but it looks like your in a clown car.

19. Motors pk says:

August 4th, 2009 at 7:09 am

Nice comparison, other than these hybrids, Honda city has impressive milage as well..

20. Tom @ Best Radar Detector says:

August 14th, 2009 at 4:21 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that Hybrid vehicles not only are good for our environment, but are also eligible for numerous tax cuts & grants. I would post a link but I don’t want to be considered a spammer 🙂
    .-= Tom @ Best Radar Detector´s last blog ..Escort Laser Shifter ZR4 =-.

21. Old cars says:

September 15th, 2009 at 8:27 am

You definately covered most of the cars I can think of. But with the new Insight coming out and the Fusion….its a whole new ball game.You definately covered most of the cars I can think of. But with the new Insight coming out and the Fusion….its a whole new ball game.

22. Medical Job Australia says:

September 21st, 2009 at 9:59 am

I love them all, but would prefer Fortwo more than the others considering fuel economy, and the size too.

23. Auto Body Arizona says:

October 4th, 2009 at 12:39 am

The Honda seems to be the better in my opinion, especialy when you have to perform collision repair service on any of the Hybrids. Remember that the cost will tend to be higher when the battery has to be disconnected or removed to perform repairs.

24. Rate Car Insurance Guy says:

October 10th, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Your title “The Top 3 Hybrids” seems to just mention 2 Hybrids, I don;t think the Smart is a Hybrid. Regarding previous comments, the Smart gets decent crash test ratings with it’s passenger cage and front/wide airbags, thought there was a head on test preformed with a larger car i which the Smart ends up getting bounced backwards with some big G forces.

There are some radical Smart Car conversions out there if you loose interest in milage, the more elegant one called the Smartuki fits a 160+ HP GSXR 1000 motorcycle engine into the rear compartment, the makers say the engine can be fitted with turbo and nitrous for 300 HP. I suppose one could request to be buried in their Smart Car.
    .-= Rate Car Insurance Guy´s last blog ..Comparing Auto Insurance Costs for Hybrid Cars =-.

25. short term car insurance says:

December 21st, 2009 at 3:45 am

The 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid is fantastic due to its attractive design and excellent gas mileage.
    short term car insurance

26. los angeles limos says:

December 26th, 2009 at 3:03 am

The Honda Civic definitely has the “look” that isn’t offered by the Prius, and the leg room not offered by the smart car. The gas mileage is amazing. Awesome hybred.

27. dave@used pontoon boats says:

January 10th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I love that Honda, it looks great and you really can’t beat 45 mpg on the highway. I am always traveling across Florida from north the south so that car would definitely benefit me.
    .-= dave@used pontoon boats´s last blog ..2008 Crest 22 Superfisherman, Yamaha 150 HP Pontoon Boat =-.

28. Asher@New Jersey Limos says:

March 7th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I must say that my hybrid Toyota Prius is the smartest vehcile I have owned. Not only does it achieve great mileage and a significant reduction in fuel consumption against other cars of it size, it is very kind for the environment. I feel like I am contributing to the Global fight against excessive use and abuse of our precious energy. The Prius also is a pleasure to ride. It comfortable and has a somewhat “retro” interior, that replicates unique body features.

Fantastic vehicle

29. Honda Civic says:

March 19th, 2010 at 8:10 am

There is no substitute to Hybrid Cars. They are really very revolutionary. I have my own 2009 Toyota Prius. I never got problems with my car. The car is really great to drive. Also, the car has sufficient power and speed. I experienced in winter it gets quiet cold and I find I obtain about 40 mph during very cold weather. Recently I bought Honda Civic Hybrid car. Experienced with this car is also the same.

30. Rushan@Sports Cars says:

May 24th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

The civic hybrid looks promising. Great Looking efficient Car!

31. Cheap Car Parts says:

June 17th, 2010 at 1:00 am

I love the Volkswagen Jetta which I got a year before and I must say its the most wonderful car.I feel very comfortable when driving this car.I m fully satisfied with its better than expected performance.

32. Car Insurance In Warren says:

June 21st, 2010 at 7:00 am

Took me time to read all the comments, but I actually loved the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I am positive to all the commenters right here as well! It’s all the time nice when you can’t solely learn, but also entertained! I’m certain you had fun writing this blog.

33. Windshield Repair Atlanta says:

July 8th, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I almost got the civic hybrid but opted for the sporty civic 2dr instead. I get around 40 on the highway and 33-35 in town. I love the hondas.

34. Mike@best radar detector says:

September 15th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Hybrids are definitely on the right track but the premium you pay for the technology is still too high. I have a 94 honda civic and I get around 30-33 miles/gallon. Mind you, this car is 16 years old! Hybrid technology will evolve and improve. Until it comes in line with “regular” cars (or replaces them altogether), hybrids will not be the majority of cars on the road. Financial incentives far greater than what has been offered so far (tax credits a few years ago) could also tip the scales in the hybrids direction.
    Another issue is the cost of repairs on the Hybrid. I doo not have one, so I have not experiencedthis first hand but I have been told that repairs are very expensive.
    Just my 2 cents

35. Warburton's, INC says:

September 24th, 2010 at 6:38 pm

The smart car design really scares me. Sure, you get great gas mileage, and you can turn heads all over the city, but honestly? You get into an accident and you’re dead. You would lose to a go-cart in that thing.

36. Car accessories says:

April 21st, 2011 at 2:16 am

Great article..I would like to see the articles on latest car models on your blog