Hybrid MPG: Toyota Prius vs. Nissan Altima vs. Honda Civic

Friday, June 5, 2009 17:50

Now that we are hearing more and more about fuel saving hybrid cars that run on batteries, we wanted to know how the top contenders compare in fuel consumption and value.   So we took at the look at the 3 Hybrids rated the most fuel effecient for 2009:  The 2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid, the 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid and the 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid.

2009 Nissan Altima HybridAll of these figures are based on the assumption that you have driven the car at least 1500 miles to break it in. Assuming 1500 miles annually and gas prices at $2.44 per gallon, combined MPG (Miles Per Gallon) and the assumption that you refill when the tank is at 10% full.

The Toyota Prius Hybrid does the best in the city at a whopping 45 MPG, but breaks even when it comes to the highway at 45 MPG and again takes the lead in the combined gas mileage at 46 MPG. It should cost you about $1.33 to drive 25 miles, while only using only .54 of a gallon of gas. This car will cost about $794.00 to fill up on a yearly basis.

The Nissan Altima Hybrid does not do as well as either car, as it only gets 35 miles in the city and 33 on the highway. It only pulls a combined 34 MPG. To drive 25 miles would cost you $1.79 and only gets 612 miles on a tank of gas.
You’re looking at $1076.00 in annual fuel cost based on 612 miles per tank fill up.

The Honda Civic Hybrid comes in about even with the Honda Prius with 40 miles in the city and 45 on the highway. It pulls a combined 42 MPG, it cost $1.45 to drive 25 miles, while only using .60 of a gallon.  To fill this car up it will cost you $43.92, while getting 612 miles off of a fill up, and a yearly fuel cost of $871.00.

66 Responses to “Hybrid MPG: Toyota Prius vs. Nissan Altima vs. Honda Civic”

1. Mohibkh@Rom machine says:

June 8th, 2009 at 8:50 am

That’s means Toyota Prius Hybrid is the best hybrid car.Thanks for Sharing.

Thank You.

2. Headlight Bulbs UK says:

June 10th, 2009 at 8:43 am

Whilst these MPG figures for the Hybrids are quite respectable, you can get similar results from a small engined petrol hatchback, especially as petrol engines become more fuel efficient. And the depreciation of a Hybrid is going to be steeper in the long run.

3. Sam Lewis says:

June 11th, 2009 at 10:45 am

I hope that was a typo in the assumptions published: “Assuming 1500 miles annually”. Is it assuming 1500 miles monthly or 15,000 annually, either of which would be fairly close.

4. admin@london_escorts says:

June 12th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I always prefer any model of Toyota, most specially the Prius Hybrid model. The car just recently made its’ debut in the Philippines for a price tag of P2.2 mil .

5. Andy Murray says:

June 14th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Does anyone know why cars in Europe seem to get much better mpg? The Toyota Pryus on sale in the UK gets you combined 65 mpg. Regular engine cars will easily do 40mpg and teh smaller regular engine cars will do 50-60mpg.

6. Gareth Jameson says:

June 14th, 2009 at 7:09 pm

The Prius has always looked like the hybrid of choice. Especially now that Toyota are also toying around with roof-integrated solar panels.

7. Steven Hall says:

June 17th, 2009 at 8:04 am

I will opt for Toyota Hybrid prius. I am opting for it since it functions and feature wise it is the best among all and is a performance providing car.
    .-= Steven Hall´s last blog ..Spray Tan Success =-.

8. Jason says:

June 18th, 2009 at 7:22 am

I read a lot about all these cars but i am specially impressed with Prius. As its a Toyota brand and i had Toyota’s Corolla before. Feature wise i can surely say that Pirus smart outs all.

9. Robert Star says:

June 20th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Toyota Prius being little more better than Honda Civic in respect of MPG and costing is more preferable…lets see which one gets the maximum sale….

10. windscreen repair service says:

June 22nd, 2009 at 7:29 am

All the cars are superb and i can hardly compare them. Each one has its special features and functions. If i was given only one option to select one out of there i would have opted for Honda Civic Hybrid, that too because of its looks and its sporty look. Performance wise it is too good.

11. Women riders says:

June 26th, 2009 at 8:44 am

I ride a motorcycle. A Honda VTX 1300 to be precise, I get right around 45-MPG city and 50-MPG hwy. Even though I give up the comfort of having a seat and being enclosed in fowl weather, I gain horsepower and the thrill of the open road. I don’t think I could give up the power for fuel economy. I know that they can manufacture automobiles that have performance as well as great gas mileage. Look at the new Volkswagen.

12. Scented Candles says:

June 28th, 2009 at 6:45 am

Prius is awesome i have no word for it, one of my friends works in TOYOTA and he has told me its secrets which are not reveled to many. I was shocked when i heard them. Its good to see the fight between these three cars and i am sure that Prius will definitely win.

13. Jeet@directory submission says:

June 29th, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Prius beats it’s competitors on fuel costs, but I am sure civic with it’s existing brand value will outperform Prius in long run.

14. charlie@directory list says:

June 30th, 2009 at 4:26 am

The Hybrid cars are boon. Low maintenance,no pollution are the main features,your comparative study of Toyota, Nissa and Honda is very useful.But Toyota Prius steal the thunder, but when it comes to looks i like Honda Civic better.

15. Europe trips says:

June 30th, 2009 at 5:53 am

Toyota is always been a great brand. When ever it has launched a new car it has always been a great success and i feel that the same is going to happen in this case. Toyota Prius will surely be a great success and surely beat the other two brands.

16. Terry@ Laboratory Coat says:

July 1st, 2009 at 2:15 am

I’ve always been fascinated with gas-electric hybrid cars especially the Prius. But how do they stack up against Europe’s ultra-efficient and clean diesel cars? An article about that would really be great as it would give a lot of consumers a good picture of what they should really buy.

17. Araç Sorgulama says:

July 1st, 2009 at 6:17 am

Toyota always produce quality cars.I’m used Corolla.. very good job.Thanks for sharing 😉

18. Rushi says:

July 4th, 2009 at 2:44 am

We know that Toyota prius is very excellent in itself than the others but when the point comes for the look & performance both then there is only one & that is Honda!do you remember that Accord!

19. Muscle cars says:

July 6th, 2009 at 3:26 am

I have a 2006 i-Tech Prius and it is by far the best car I have ever owned. The best alternative for toyota prius is currently honda civic hybrid. Alternatives are sorted by relevance. Both the Honda Civic and Toyota Prius make their best bets for new cars and for used cars.

20. Motorcycle Boots says:

July 8th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

There is a lot to be said about the price of gas. It always seems that they go up during high travel times and go back down in the off seasons. It is extremely hard if you have to drive 40 miles to work and 40 miles back home five days a week. I gave up on my Chevy Blazer and bought a Harley Davidson 883 Low. I get just about 50 miles per gallon. I looked into a hybrid but when you compare price I would much rather pay $6899.00 then $18,000.000. So I get rained on once in a while. Hey I save big at the pump. I still have my Chevy for shopping and hauling and if the weather is really bad I do drive it to work. Ouch!!!

21. Reliance says:

July 13th, 2009 at 10:13 pm

What’s interesting is that the standard Civic gets pretty solid mileage as well, and may even be a better deal (efficiency wise) depending on how often you travel.

22. markus says:

July 18th, 2009 at 7:12 am

yeah the civic has got a very good efficient streamline body with the high fuel efficiency & after that as we all know that Honda is well known for it’s designs & as well as the fuel efficient high power engine!

23. Cheap Gas Prices says:

July 21st, 2009 at 12:28 am

And accidentally they are all Japanese

24. jason says:

July 28th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, The 4k-6k extra dollars to get a hybrid is not worth it right now. Hopefully, they will bring the price down to get these sold!

25. Steve@Voucher Codes says:

July 29th, 2009 at 10:09 am

Thanks for sharing this info, I drive a small 1.4 and get about 40mpg if I drive well. I don’t think any of these hybrids are for me yet.

26. Ruri@Free article submission says:

July 31st, 2009 at 3:53 am

Hybrids maybe expensive on the first start. but for maintenance , it can save money. However I also interested to see comparison between hybrid and non-hybrid car.
    .-= Ruri@Free article submission´s last blog ..Ruling The Highway With Harley Davidson =-.

27. Deni Andriana says:

July 31st, 2009 at 10:40 am

This is very useful for me

regard 🙂

28. MBR Marketing says:

August 4th, 2009 at 11:33 am

I am still partial to the Honda. I think it has the coolest design and probably is the sportiest.

29. Cessna aircraft says:

August 6th, 2009 at 3:02 am

Mostly i like Nissan Altima, It does not get the fuel mileage of the much smaller Prius, but it is quicker and sportier to drive.For the money this is as good as it gets for a family vehicle. It runs clean, gets exceptional gas mileage, and is well priced. I like it better than the Toyota Prius, but that is due to the Nissan’s handling and good visibility.

30. Leopold says:

August 8th, 2009 at 10:42 am

Good to know, that big companies do think about ecology) I would buy Honda, myself.

31. Mouli Cohen says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I recently had an opportunity to drive a Honda Civic Hybrid and found it a great ride.
    .-= Mouli Cohen´s last blog ..Mouli Cohen & Philanthropy updated Wed Aug 5 2009 8:45 am CDT =-.

32. mtb says:

August 12th, 2009 at 12:04 am

I am a Honda fan. I think they make great cars that last. Toyota is pretty good also but I found when buying new everything is an option and it usually costs more then expected.

33. Newport Beach Home says:

August 22nd, 2009 at 5:17 am

Thanks for sharing such a nice post.Toyota is really very famous company in its luxury Car.its car is really very comfortable and luxurious.

34. Simon @ Harley Davidson Leather Jackets says:

August 22nd, 2009 at 6:18 am

Are hybrid cars really beginning to take off now then? Do yo know if they are also going to be working on hybrid motorcycles? It would be interesting to see the different bike brands design one and race to see which performs the best
    .-= Simon @ Harley Davidson Leather Jackets´s last blog ..High Visibility Motorcycle Jackets =-.

35. Mega Online Car Insurance Quoter says:

August 25th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Pretty close to my own experience. I have a 2008 Prius and i get on average 44 MPG. Go Prius!

36. gilbert says:

August 27th, 2009 at 9:04 am

I love seeing all the new ingenuity going into the designs of many of the new models coming out this year from various manufacturers. Even though many of the styles, they are clearly being designed with the consumer in mind. The level of comfort vehicles are now offering is so much greater than the new vehicles of the last decade. It’ll be nice to to see luxury vehicles become standard everyday vehicles of the same price.

37. carros says:

August 28th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

$2.44 per gallon? realy amazing

38. Inchirieri Masini says:

August 29th, 2009 at 6:40 pm

The Toyota has lots of engineers working of it which came from EU, so they are close to the eco-standards
    .-= Inchirieri Masini´s last blog ..Inchirieri Masini =-.

39. Susan@Trade In's says:

September 15th, 2009 at 2:06 am

This is the only way that cars should be going, anything that is going to be good on the environment should be used, I have to say at the moment the Toyota, is the most popular of these cars but there are more manufacturers that are bringing out the hybrid, which is awesome to see.

40. hawaii solar says:

September 21st, 2009 at 8:25 am

Indeed, Interesting topic I really enjoy reading. Thanks.

41. Fitness Inversion Table says:

September 21st, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I find it interesting that I have a friend who did a couple of modifications (changed the air intake, got a wider exhaust) to his standard Honda civic and he gets better mileage than these hybrids without the hybrid problems.

I’m just not willing to spring an extra 20k on a car that really doesn’t work all that much better.

I ride my bike most of the time anyway…

42. Pickup trucks says:

September 22nd, 2009 at 8:21 am

Toyota’s Camry Hybrid and Prius have been the only realistic alternatives for many. and the Nissan Altima Hybrid remains thin and hornlike to find. Major competitors to the Toyota Prius include the Chevrolet Malibu hybrid, Honda Civic hybrid, Nissan Altima hybrid, Toyota Camry hybrid, and Volkswagen.

43. Russian Translator says:

September 25th, 2009 at 8:52 am

I have always been a fan o TOYOTA as it has great efficiency and power. It is car that helps to keep you happy and satisfied.

44. social media marketing says:

September 26th, 2009 at 2:56 am

Nice and informative news just great hope that was a typo in the assumptions published: “Assuming 1500 miles annually”. Is it assuming 1500 miles monthly or 15,000 annually, either of which would be fairly close.
    .-= social media marketing´s last blog ..Huge List of Free Press Release/Distribution Sites =-.

45. Dragdreams says:

October 2nd, 2009 at 2:06 am

Nice post and very informative. I have always been a fan of Toyota because most of their cars are fuel efficient
    .-= Dragdreams´s last blog ..1932 Ford Deuce Roadster | The Most Definitive Hot Rod =-.

46. Nathan Watchorn says:

October 3rd, 2009 at 3:20 am

this article talks about the performances of the hybrid cars available in the market .With less number of choices like the toyota , the nissan and the honda the performance given shold be specific . the whole performance scenario does not take in account the real problems of the customer.

47. Used Civic Hybrid says:

October 13th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Hondas are well made and historically hold their values well. I have a gas engine Civic now. I think my next car will be a Civic Hybrid – when and if this one gives out!

48. Golf Range Finders says:

October 13th, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Nice hybrids. economical and very fast cars. Gotta love the hybrids. It’s so sweet to drive around with your newly purchased hybrid car and drive down to a golf course and tee off.
    .-= Golf Range Finders´s last blog ..SkyGolf SG4 110-240 Volt Ac Wall Charger =-.

49. Daily Automotive says:

October 17th, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Honday civic hybrid will my favourite choice, but now for affordable price Honda Insight my choice
    .-= Daily Automotive´s last blog ..bmwz4 =-.

50. Car Leather Cleaner says:

October 29th, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I’d swap to a Prius right away if it was a bit more affordable. Hopefully the new hybrids will help drive down the cost of the technology and they will become affordable for more people.

51. Custom 4x4 trucks says:

November 25th, 2009 at 3:24 am

Evey company try to make some different then other to increase the numbers of customers. I am Toyota fan & i like Toyota hybrid car.

52. Pennsylvania Driver Education says:

November 30th, 2009 at 5:31 am

It always seems that they go up during high travel times and go back down in the off seasons. It is extremely hard if you have to drive 40 miles to work and 40 miles back home five days a week. I gave up on my Chevy Blazer and bought a Harley Davidson 883 Low. I get just about 50 miles per gallon,but with several new hybrid cars on the horizon I suspect that this will change pretty soon.

53. blue car says:

December 3rd, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Good analysis on this. I can’t wait to read your take next year on the Toyota Prius plug in hybrid versus the GM Volt plug in hybrid.

54. pdf service manual says:

December 13th, 2009 at 11:21 pm

All of these cars are great. The problem is with the mid-size sedans hybrid – they are simply more expensive. Especially if the gas prices in US goes down again they will be less attractive for customers that care more for the price of the car than the environment.
    .-= pdf service manual´s last blog ..2006 Hyundai Accent Owners Manual =-.

55. Citroen C5 Review says:

December 15th, 2009 at 8:50 am

All hybrid cars i have ever seen is all made by Japan companies. Why Europa and USA aren’t interest in hybrid cars? what are you think about it?
    .-= Citroen C5 Review ´s last blog ..2009 Citroen C5 Review =-.

56. Juandy says:

December 17th, 2009 at 5:41 am

Whatever the outcome is, I still Love Honda Civic, its avg consumption costs only 77$ more than Prius annually… THat’s not a big deal 🙂

Automotive Freaks
    .-= Juandy´s last blog ..Will You Be Able to Afford Young Drivers Car Insurance? =-.

57. Carl From Car Alarm Reviews says:

December 25th, 2009 at 3:49 am

Great Comparison quite useful information. Though Toyota is a great brand with high quality products, I personally prefer Honda. I guess I am just a Honda fanboy but still I think Honda Civic hybrid looks much cooler than Toyota prius and the difference in fuel efficiency is not great between these two cars. Nissan is nowhere in the league of these two high quality machines.
    .-= Carl From Car Alarm Reviews´s last blog ..Electronic Products from China: 10 tips to buy the best Car … =-.

58. car bulbs says:

January 8th, 2010 at 10:19 am

The Honda civic is a great car! Had one as my first and was very sad to see it go!

59. Ciro@Car Detailing in New York says:

March 2nd, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Despite what this articles says, why is it that Top Gear’s Jeremy Clarkson claims that the Toyota Prius doesn’t get anywhere near the 50 mpg that this vehicle is claimed to acheive?

60. Car Dealers says:

March 5th, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I really think you should add the new Ford Fusion hybrid to this comparison of hybrid cars. In many respects, it is better than the Prius, though they get about the same gas mileage.

61. Nissan Leaf says:

June 18th, 2010 at 9:32 am

We are soon to launch the energy efficient Nissan Leaf here in the UK. So no need to worry about fuel costs.

62. diseño web chihuahua says:

June 28th, 2010 at 11:17 am

im agree with u!

63. Marietta Auto Glass says:

July 8th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I have a 2008 civic, it’s not a hybrid but it gets great gas mileage. Its a coupe, I love it, wouldn’t trade it for a prius or altima. Plus the windshield replacement of the honda is cheaper than the prius, those windshields are overpriced.

64. Peter@used car for woman says:

July 12th, 2010 at 2:40 am

What is the difference between Toyota Previa and Toyota Estima?

65. Winnebago Hire says:

July 31st, 2010 at 4:14 am

Toyotas are generally the king of everything

66. Driving Instructor Wolverhampton says:

August 2nd, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I would buy one of these if it werent for the insurance class 7, with only 1 years no claims bonus that would mean alot for me. I think if i had to choose which hybrid id go for the Honda Civic, I just love the car itself!