Checking Car Value with Kelly Blue Book Used Cars

Friday, September 3, 2010 15:20

Looking for a good deal on a used car (or even a new car)?  Make sure you determine the real value of the auto first.  Probably the best way to do this is to check with the Kelly Blue Book value.  By grading the car based on how old it is, how much mileage it has on it, and the general overall appearance of the vehicle, Kelly Blue Book can give you a pretty good idea of what the car is worth.  People have been using them for years, so you know they’re pretty trustworthy.

If you’re looking to sell your car, looking at Kelly Blue Book Used Cars is a great way to make sure you don’t under price yourself — or overprice yourself out of a sale.  If you really want to move a car fast, price it 5% to 10% below the blue book value.  Anyone shopping for a car will immediately recognize the deal and take it off your hands right away.  If you’re not in any rush, price the car about 5% to 10% over the Kelly Blue Book Used Car value.  This will give you a little wiggle room with haggling and negotiating.

More resources for selling used cars:

Posted in category News

22 Responses to “Checking Car Value with Kelly Blue Book Used Cars”

1. jen @ order of wedding speeches says:

September 3rd, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Excellent advice. I always check out a vehicle in the blue book before making an appointment with the seller. It pays to do your homework so you don’t overpay for a car.

2. Palm Springs Motors says:

September 3rd, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Good advice, most of that is common sense though. Also count in on the RECESSION, in today’s economy, I heard it is hard to move a vehicle even if its priced WAY below Blue Book. There’s lots of people who have lost their jobs etc and are desperate to sell their cars and buyers now this and will gauge the price down. Its a buyers market.

3. Saltwater Fish For Sale says:

September 6th, 2010 at 12:34 am

Excellent advice. And it better to check it before buying it. I usually check out a vehicle inside the blue book before making an appointment with the seller. It pays to do your homework so you don’t overpay for a car.

4. jen @ order of wedding speeches says:

September 6th, 2010 at 11:47 am

@Florist, there are never guarantees. The blue book is just a starting point. You have to do your homework and make sure you have the car checked out thoroughly before buying.

5. Justin says:

September 7th, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Very nice post, unfortunatlyt a lot of reseller will evaluate your car under the price, yes they want profit, but sometimes it is too much. So ask a lot of reseller and choose the best price.
    Your advice are very good, I could say so, because I have grown up in a family which owns car dealers.

6. Buy Saltwater Fish says:

September 7th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Excellent suggestions, most of that is widespread sense though. Also count in around the RECESSION, in today’s economic system, I heard it truly is tricky to maneuver a car even when its priced WAY beneath Blue Book. There’s lots of people that have lost their jobs and so forth and are desperate to market their automobiles and potential buyers now this and can gauge the price down. Its a consumers marketplace.

7. wrought iron components says:

September 8th, 2010 at 9:09 am

Good tips, It recently took me 4 months to shift a car, but i was in no hurry and wanted top dollar for it. If you can hold on then do and I always find if you price it a little higer than 5% because people will always haggle you down.

8. Wheatgrass Benefits says:

September 8th, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Great tip. Another trick when purchasing from a dealer is to never offer up that you want to trade-in your old car until AFTER you’ve settled on a price.

9. jen @ order of wedding speeches says:

September 9th, 2010 at 5:47 am

@Justin, it is not realistic to expect to get the full blue book value on a trade-in. The dealerships do need to make money. I find it is worth the extra effort to sell the car yourself and keep the profit your self. The website will tell you the estimated resale value and you have the option to calculate the approximate trade-in value.

10. Tim says:

September 9th, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I agree with the advice that you should start the offer price at 5% higher then the actual value of the car. After all, isn’t that what auto dealers do?

One tip I found helpful is to tell the buyer that you will pay to have a mechanic of their choice look at the car before you sell it. Just at that cost into the price of your vehicle. In the past, i’ve been able to get a little extra $$$ even with the mechanics fee included because the buyer feels confident in knowing the vehicle is good shape.

11. RK says:

September 10th, 2010 at 1:37 pm

The KBB gives a good idea, but not that accurate. The best way is to look at the local classified ads by owner for similar vehicles.

12. Jen @ Auto Transport says:

September 13th, 2010 at 4:36 am

Thanks for the links! Although the websites are mostly for the US and I’m not based there. Whenever we have to sell a car, we usually go to a reliable car dealer to tell us what the car’s going rate is.

13. Front License Plates says:

November 4th, 2010 at 5:45 am

I always want to check my car every time i leave my house. I always want to be safe when i am riding a car. Thanks for sharing us this information where we can find nice and safe used cars. I am thinking now to buy another used car for my brother as a gift for his birthday.

14. car repairs sandringham says:

April 20th, 2011 at 1:01 am

Thank for the useful tips! It really helps in buying car especially non experienced people! Thank for sharing to everyone!

15. Used jaguar cars says:

June 3rd, 2011 at 12:16 am

I have bought a used Audi now thinking to sell my old Hyundai Verna. I really don’t know what craze going on in market and what its actual price. Anyway that advice might be helpful for best deal.

16. Overland Park Auto Service says:

October 10th, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’ve always tried to price a car around that 5% range and usually get good leads from it.  If I don’t get any takers for the heightened asking price, I will usually drop it around 3-4% higher than the typical asking price.

17. alliance auto repair says:

January 29th, 2012 at 6:15 pm

The auto repair shop should have qualified professionals to carry out the repair and maintenance work with ease.

18. Billy Booshwa says:

March 2nd, 2012 at 6:30 am

Very informative post. The blue book is just a place to start your research.. You have to do your homework and dig deeper.

19. coolest car says:

March 26th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Great advice, most of that is common sense though.we usually go to a reliable car dealer to tell us what the car’s going rate . i write a topic about Buy classic cars you can check it