Which Automaker Dominated the World Markets in 2011?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 22:42

Four automakers can lay claim to the world markets of 2011. GM believes that it owns the right to claim 9.03 million in sales internationally. Some dispute that claim. VW claims 8.156 million, Nissan/Renault claims 8.1 million and Toyota claims 7.9 million. With one in dispute and three so close together, it might be a four-way tie.

Which Automaker Dominated the World Markets in 2011?

Which Automaker Dominated the World Markets in 2011?

GM may have inflated its strong figures when it included 1.2M in Chinese sales attributed to Wuling, a loosely connected automaker that isn’t quite a part of the GM family. Even with this figure removed, it ranks number four. So, whether its 9.03 or 7.7 million, GM has the largest share in China and the USA, the two largest car markets. It can claim over 30 percent in third-ranked Brazil, 21 percent in fourth-ranked Germany, and 26 percent in sixth-ranked Russia.

VW’s 8.156 million includes 42% of the fourth-ranked German market, 34% of the third-ranked Brazilian market, and 31% of the enormous Chinese market. It also makes a strong showing in the U.S. (almost 5 percent) and Russia (over 14 percent).

Nissan/Renault snagged 30% of the Russian market, 17% in China, and 13% or more in the U.S., Germany and Brazil.

Toyota, with its 7.9 million, remained the top seller in Japan (64 percent) and earned 20% of all U.S. sales, 12% in China and 13% in Russia. It also maintained decent showings in Germany and Brazil. The hybrid Prius continues to outsell all other hybrids.

Jason Lancaster likes seeing which automakers dominated the global markets in 2011 and looks forward to seeing trends in 2012. He works with Toyota Parts Center, an online seller of genuine Toyota Sienna parts.

Posted in category News

8 Responses to “Which Automaker Dominated the World Markets in 2011?”

1. Jeff says:

May 17th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Nice infographics! Interesting to note that GM is starting to recover from lost of market share.

2. Dennis Steele@Chicago Interior Designer says:

May 19th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

It is interesting to see that China has the most car purchases. I know they have a lot more people than other countries but I always thought that they promoted different types of travel inside the major cities.

3. Jasmine says:

June 19th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Well, competition among these automakers is not surprising and this would somehow inspire them to further give better service to their clients. And still I am personally looking forward if what would be the result by the end of 2012.

4. Sergio@tratament candida says:

July 4th, 2012 at 8:40 am

Surprised to see that GM and Ford are still doing this great on certain parts of the world. I know the market hasn’t been growing at all in the past 2-3 years and it seems the only way to improve is by “stealing” somebody’s shares because that’s what happens in a recession. In the end the company/corporation that adapts the best will win a lot of $.

5. Carrie@Cocktail Dresses says:

July 5th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

It surprises me that China buys the most cars, even exceeding USA (previously I thought US would definitely purchases the most cars int eh world). I guess China is now moving on a more western, industrial lifestyle. It also kind of surprises me that Toyota is placed fourth, since I’ve seen many people driving this car around. I would like to know which of these brands of cars are the most fuel-efficient. Since gas price is rocking high these days, it would be nice to have a car that can save me money rather than a cool, pretty car that basically eats my money away.

6. Chase says:

July 5th, 2012 at 5:35 pm

GM and Chrysler posted double digit year over year growth for the first quarter of 2012. That is pretty phenomenal given the state of the industry in 2008. Hopefully they can continue to grow and build more reliable products.

7. Nicole@US Foreclosures says:

September 12th, 2012 at 12:01 am

These figures shocked me a little. The top four sellers were GM, VW, Nissan, and Toyota. Honda did not come in until number 9. And then it only came in with 3 million. This is half of what the other car manufacturers were claiming to have sold.

Honda did not even make the top 5 when broken down to just the US. Now, this is surprising to me because it is the most stolen car in the US. Since it is the most stolen car, you would think it would have some kind of high car sell ranking as well. Or do you think that it has been stolen so much that people have stopped buying the cars?

8. srd87 says:

January 23rd, 2013 at 2:52 am

I believe in Toyota,I have been using Toyota for almost 10 years with low gas usage.This definitely supports the sales of Toyota increase in future.I agree with icole that stolen cars may become part of factor Honda cannot achieve the sales target in US.